Thursday, August 14, 2008

Double Baby Day

It all started at 6:12 AM when I delivered little Ryan Angel, the third son of this beautiful family who absolutely adored him.

A few hours later, just when I finished with the newborn exam, bath, immunizations, paperwork, patient log books, and birth certificate for little Ryan, another expecting mom, Nora Naninunan, came into the clinic.

Less than ten minutes later, I delivered yet another screaming little guy, and his family is completely different from little Ryan's family. His mom has nothing....and I mean nothing. She had no diapers, no baby clothes, no baby soap, no breakfast, no clean clothes to change into after birth...nothing. And she lives in Isla Verde (I've written about Isla Verde here "Grasping for Words"). It breaks my heart to see women like Nora with husbands who won't or truly *can't* get jobs, who have nothing, and have no way of providing for their families.

On the birth certificate, although Nora did not know how to sign her own name (we used thumb prints), she was proud to let me know that she was a "born again Christian"...and could I please put that on the certificate? *Such* a sweet lady.

This is Nora's tenth child (although three of her children were premature and died at a very young age), and she asked me to name him. Her other sons were named Matil, Tamil, and Tatil, so we decided to go with something a little different and named him Taylor (after my brother of course :). Taylor Piping Naninunan.

Now, although this was quite the privilege, it was also sad. Taylor is an unwanted baby...another mouth to feed. He'll be going to Nora's sister (the woman sitting next to Nora in the picture above) who only has three children and will be able to better care for him.

We gave Nora baby clothes and diapers from our stash of donated supplies, but I wish we could do so much more for her. This was poverty beyond my American mind's ability to even comprehend.

2 comments:

Camy said...

Oh, thank you, Jordan, for letting us know the prayers needs of the beautiful baby and his dear family.

I often think of the difficult circumstances of people around the world as a consolation when I feel ungrateful or overwhelmed. I realize that is so selfish! How can I whine when others do not have water to drink or simple needs for everday life?!

I believe this experience was a great blessing for them and you. You are now familiar with something that many people your age (or may age, for that matter) will never understand.


Thanks for posting this, Jordan.

Love,
Camy

Anonymous said...

I love how God chooses "unwanted" things to bring amazing blessings. Your experience with "Taylor" reminded me of some of the things that I felt with Ana. Sometimes the overwhelming sadness I felt for her clouded the joy of Victoria. I don't understand all of the suffering in this world, but I know that the one who is Sovreign (sp?) is in charge and that's where I can rest.
Thanks for sharing, it is such an encouragement.