Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Corner of the crib

Joel got up on his hands an knees (all by himself) for the first time today. He thought it was hilarious, laughed too hard, and knocked himself over. The camera was out in the car, so unfortunately I missed a picture.

We figured this out yesterday:

It kept him entertained for a long time. He loves the piano, stopping whatever he is doing and listens when someone plays.






Lately, The Hungry Caterpillar has become essential for sleeping.

I tried to get him attached to Mr. Bear, but he wasn't interested. Piglet was a close second place, but Piglet doesn't have cool antennae to hold onto while you're trying to go to sleep.

Speaking of caterpillars, did you know that a caterpillar has 228 separate and distinct muscles in its head?? I just found that out while reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. We serve an amazing God!

And speaking of sleeping, Joel doesn't just lay there quietly falling asleep anymore for his naps. Instead, he wiggles, and rolls over, and squishes himself into the corner, then screams for help until I come and place him back in the middle of his crib. He does this multiple times before falling asleep. Also, he thinks it's hilarious when I come and "rescue" him. Very aggravating (although half the time I'm trying not to laugh at how silly he is).

I guess that's kind of like us with God though. He puts us in the right place, but we wiggle around not doing what He wants us to and pretty much forget all about Him until we trap ourselves in a corner. (I am so guilty of this!) Then we cry out for help, wanting Him to put us back in the right place (back in the middle of the crib).

Thankfully, God will "'never leave you nor forsake you.' So we can confidently say, 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear'" (Hebrews 13:5-6) Just like I would never leave Joel screaming and alone trapped in a corner (no matter how many times he manages that during a nap session).

I think of how happy Joel is when I come to save him. He stops crying, waves his arms, and laughs. When I pick him up, he wraps his chubby arms around my neck and buries his face happily into my shoulder. I know he is loving me with all his little baby love. His love is genuine.

Today I read, "'Jesus said, "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind."' (Matt. 22:37-38) The results are intimate prayer and study of His word...This is how God wants us to respond to His extravagant, unending love: not with a cursory "quiet time" plagued by guilt, but with true love expressed through our lives." ~Francis Chan

Today I'm challenged to have true genuine love like a child, like Joel. And to avoid squirming into a corner, trapped, resisting what God wants for my life.

On a side note, I've been thinking about some ways to finish the statement "you know your a mom when..."
...you carry a breastmilk pump around in your purse on date night.
...date night always seems to turn into a Meijer stop for diapers.
...you crawl into bed at night and instantly find 3 pacifiers--one under your pillow, one poking into your back, and one at your feet (this is after you spent 45 minutes before your baby's afternoon nap frantically searching for a pacifier knowing there are at least 10 pacifiers somewhere in the house).

No comments: