Friday, March 11, 2011

Dress like the 90's

Man, time flies by! Nate and I both had birthdays in the past couple of weeks. I know 21 and 22 aren't very old, but it's starting to feel old. Somewhere around 21, my thinking changed from: "why can't time just hurry up (so I can be in high school, or go to college, or get married)?" to: "time is going TOO fast!"

Nate took me to a hockey game for my birthday, and the theme for the game was "Dress Like the 90's." Whoah...hang on one little second! Whatever happened to "Dress like the 70's or the 80's?????" You know, like the way our parents dressed? Like the way they dressed so funny WAY BACK THEN?? Good grief, we remember the 90's. Nate and I just looked at each other thinking, "this must mean we're getting OLD."

Then today, I was watching Nate play with Joel, and I can't believe how much he has grown! It feels like just yesterday, I was looking at a positive pregnancy test, barely able to breath from the shock: "AAAAAAH I'M PREGNANT!??!" Now he's rolling over, almost sitting on his own, eating rice cereal, and scooting across the floor. And I know that I'll just blink, and he'll be walking down the aisle with the girl of his dreams, and before I know it, he'll be staring at her positive pregnancy test, shocked and filled with awe. And I'll be thinking, "WHERE did the time go??"

I'm reminded of a post I wrote 4 years ago "Don't Waste Your Life" Although I'm not overseas doing missions or practicing midwifery saving mamas and babies 3rd world, God has me in this "waiting place" right now, at home, taking care of my husband and baby. But because it doesn't feel like I'm doing anything amazing or courageous (as I clean spit up, it certainly doesn't feel like I'm saving the world), it's easy to get in a rut, thinking, "I'll glorify God later....when I'm on the mission field." But I need to remind myself that God has a purpose for me HERE. I can glorify Him right now, even while cleaning spit up.

Am I content with where God has me? Am I cheerful when my husband gets home from work? Am I being his help with a quiet and contented spirit? Am I using this time to glorify God, or am I wasting it? Am I letting this time God has given me fly by?

Life is a vapor that quickly disappears. Don't waste it!

1 comment:

Camy said...

Jordan, God certainly uses all of our moments for His glory, and for our sanctification. The work you are doing now is such sweet simplicity. It took me quite a time before I began to find pleasure in the calling of wife, mother, and friend. But God Himself gave me contentment in my circumstances (this was after I prayed for it..haha, I need all of the help I can get!). Now when I am cleaning up vomit, cleaning that "mystery stain" on the wall, and fixing another family meal (which ends up getting wolfed down in a matter of seconds), I just shrug my shoulders, smile, and know that this is my calling. If you would've told me when I was 21 that I would actually be content with what I am doing now, I would've never believed it for a 100 years! Take care :o)