Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Where I Am...

Michelle (one of my classmates) and I are spending the next 3 weeks here in Tabuk, Kalinga. We traveled up here from Davao a few days ago by plane, taxi, and bus. We LOVE it! Wonderful people, mountains, cool weather....doesn't get much better than that. :)

We're living with Georgia, a Canadian midwife who is married to Achao, a member of the But-but tribe. She runs a clinic in her home downstairs and lives with about 9 other people (her son, other midwives, us, etc.) upstairs. It's an awesome set up...super relaxed and interactive with the patients. This weekend, we'll be traveling to the But-but tribe here.




We've been adding words in But-but, Ilokano, and Tagalog words to our repertoire of Filipino languages. I'm constantly amazed at how many dialects are in this country and how many languages each Filipino speaks. Most of the Filipinos I know speak at least 5 languages! We Americans are happy if we know just one! lol

No comments: