Thursday, June 19, 2008

Katitipan Visit #2

Janelle and I went back to Katitipan this time armed with charts, doppler, BP cuff, thermometer, etc. There are several pregnant women in Katitipan that we had the opportunity to give prenatals.


My new continuity Darling :)

After prenatals, we went over to Candy's house for dinner because it was her birthday.

It was raining when we needed to go home. Filipinos really dislike rain (a rather unexpected cultural trait in a rainy country), and Candy's family wanted us to spend the night so that we wouldn't have to walk to the road to catch a taxi, but we were able to compromise by using umbrellas. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be a no-brainer question but I finally just have to ask! What is a continuity? You have mentioned them several times and I just can't figure it out!
Eden

Jordan said...

Nope! Not a no-brainer question ;) It's about time for me to explain. A continuity is a woman who gets *all* her care from one person.

For example:

1. Darling is my continuity. I do *all* her checkups, deliver her baby, and do all her postpartum checkups. I may get help and advice from other people, but I am the primary person caring for her...hence, "continuity of care".

2. Mary Jane is a patient at Mercy Maternity Clinic who is not someone's continuity. Five different people do her prenatals, and someone else (who may or may not have seen her in prenatals) delivers her baby.

Ok...does that make sense?? ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I understand now. It is so neat that you get to help all of those people and learn so much. I can't wait to see you- maybe on the Fourth?
Eden

Jordan said...

Yes! Maybe on the 4th :)